Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Putting it out there

I've been recording music for almost 15 years, written probably 50 songs that are either solid or close to solid enough to release, and yet I've never put anything out other than some very low-key limited edition CD releases, and – just once – a vinyl test pressing of a hundred or so records. A lot of music that nobody has ever heard.

So, as of today, Christmas Day, 2012, I'm doing something different. Instead of agonizing over whether or not something is good enough to share, and never putting anything out, I'm putting it all out. All of it. From all my old singles, released or not, to my work in progress — unfinished ideas that may become finished songs.

The player below is a set of ideas, sketches and work in progress. None of it is finished. None of it is ready to play out yet, but by putting it out into the world, I'm doing something differently than I've always done in the past – perhaps something that will help me get more of my music out into the world.

I'm not what I'd call a prolific artist by any means. I'd like to have more motivation, better focus, fewer creative blocks, and more time to concentrate on my music. What musician wouldn't want those things? But life is what it is, and if I wait until some imaginary future date to publish my art, I never will. So, fuck it. Here you go. See the clockwork in the machine. See the cook in the kitchen. Watch the process unfold, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, but always, always, art is a record of life.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment